Sweet and salty!
These are a family favourite from an old recipe book that’s been on our bookshelf for longer than I’ve been around! We love to make extra around the holidays and save them in the freezer for gifts and snacks!
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook 1977
prep time: ~10 min | cook time: 18-20 min | makes: 36 bars
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips (6 oz package)
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat butter for 30 seconds. Add sugars and beat until fluffy.
- To butter mixture, add egg, peanut butter, milk, and vanilla, beat well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, beating until smooth.
- Bake for 18-20 min. Immediately after removing from oven sprinkle chocolate chips on top and let stand to soften, then spread evenly with a spatula.
- Let cool and cut into bars.
* See notes below for alterations *
- After chocolate cools to room temp, mix ¼ cup powdered sugar, 2 tbsp peanut butter, and 2 to 3 tbsp milk together and drizzle on top for decoration and added peanut butter flavour.
- Decorate the top with coloured icing or sprinkles to make it festive for the holiday you’re celebrating!